IGNITE Communications & Knowledge Management Manager
ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION: Tanager is an international nonprofit that connects smallholder producers and private businesses to co-create new ways of realizing life-changing economic and social opportunity.
Our process builds on years of technical expertise, on-the-ground presence and public/private partnerships to unite economic growth with social innovation.
Together, we are ushering in an era of equitable market systems that combine profitability with the power to address urgent challenges in poverty, malnutrition and gender inequity.
Tanager provides a full range of services to co-create healthy markets that benefit all participants:
- Connect: Tanager connects people and partners to bridge stakeholder divides, expand market access, and unlock the full potential of shared market opportunities. We bring the right people to the table and make sure every voice is heard, linking smallholder producers to major consumer brands and everyone in between.
- Analyze: Tanager combines technical expertise and business perspective to assess markets, analyze supply chains, and pilot new technologies and tools. We test promising business models and shed light on issues critical to market success. We advance research vital to emerging economies. Our analytical approach helps us identify variables early on, which saves time and money in the long run.
- Implement: Tanager is a flexible implementing partner with a track record of delivering results in complex, dynamic environments. We drive ambitious initiatives to the finish line with a clear roadmap and the right resources at the right time and place. Our global expertise and on-the-ground presence brings last-mile experience crucial to sustainable market solutions. Clients know they can count on us to keep our word and see things through.
PEOPLE & VALUES
It takes bold hearts and resourceful minds to change the world. Our mission attracts high-caliber professionals who are dedicated to the work we do and the way we do it.
We take risks, roll up our sleeves, and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We listen, learn, and adapt rapidly, without losing sight of our end goal or the momentum needed to reach it.
We are a networked team that supports each other.
We live our mission and exhibit and embrace the following values:
- Make choices using sound thinking, intelligence, and experience.
- Be honest and ethical in everything you do and say.
- Set high standards and learn from your mistakes to continually improve.
- Trust your teammates’ capabilities and intentions.
- Strive to achieve equilibrium in all you do.
- Exercise perspective and prioritize what is important.
- Align the interests, expectations and needs of those we work with.
- Balance seriousness with humor and levity, and our work with our personal lives.
- Build strong connections with our partners and communities to achieve results.
- Work as a team with everyone at the table and reach out for input as well as advice.
- Measure success, not by the boxes we tick, but by the real difference you make in people’s lives.
- Ask, evaluate, innovate, and apply to deliver the best result for all.
- Be agile, efficient, and adaptable in your relationships, processes and work.
- Take what we’ve learned and adapt to each new situation.
Tanager is implementing programs with a focus on gender mainstreaming and nutrition integration with the agriculture sector across Africa.
The Impacting Gender & Nutrition through Innovative Technical Exchange in Agriculture (IGNITE) mechanism is a five-year investment implemented by Tanager to improve household nutrition and women’s empowerment by strengthening African institutions’ ability to integrate nutrition and gender into their way of doing business and their agriculture interventions.
IGNITE works with African institutions to design, implement, and evaluate nutrition-sensitive and gender-integrated agriculture interventions.
IGNITE also strengthens the ability of African institutions to incorporate nutrition and gender equality into their policy priorities and business practices—their way of doing business.
Based on the interventions implemented by IGNITE clients, IGNITE identifies key mechanisms and drivers of demand for the scale up and replication of nutrition-sensitive and gender-integrated interventions.
IGNITE activities are targeted in Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Tanzania. Current is currently working with 18 clients across the four countries and they include NGOs, private sector companies, and government bodies working in agriculture.
IGNITE is working with four local service providers (LSPs), one in each of the focus countries to scale up support to the clients through delivery of technical assistance to IGNITE clients.
Lastly, IGNITE is investing in generation of evidence through research with clients to identify key mechanisms and drivers of demand for the scale up and replication of models of implementing nutrition-sensitive and gender integrated agriculture interventions that advance gender equality and nutrition outcomes.
More about Tanager can be found through this link. https://tanagerintl.org/who/
Tanager is seeking to fill the position of Communications & Knowledge Management (KM) Manager. We are looking for an individual with experience in KM and communications especially in the context of Agriculture, Gender, and Nutrition.
This position will manage the design and delivery of IGNITE Knowledge management and communications strategies and plan in close coordination with the IGNITE team, partners, clients and LSPs.
S/he will build relationships across the IGNITE project portfolio and take a proactive approach to identifying stories and messaging that communicate IGNITE learning and results to various stakeholders.
S/he will lead both internal and external communications efforts, contribute to content-development of project outreach materials, including learning, success stories, project briefs, social media engagement and management, presentations, photography, videography, events management, and media relations.
S/he will liaise between project staff, partners, clients, and local service providers to build a strong bridge for the exchange of information and incorporate the project’s learning, results and findings into the overall communications and outreach activities of the project.
This position will be based in the Tanager office in Nairobi, Kenya, but will interface with Nigeria, Burkina Faso (Francophone), Tanzania, and Ethiopia.
This position will report to the Team Leader.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Lead in the ideation and design of IGNITE’s Knowledge Management and Communications strategy (40%).
- Develop a KM and Communications strategy for IGNITE and update it regularly, as applicable.
- Develop the annual communications work plan for IGNITE in consultation with the project team and partners.
- In consultation with colleagues within Tanager identify strategic industry events and fora on an annual basis that provide a platform for the project to share lessons, successes, and support the teams participating to prepare.
- Build the capacity of and provide communications support to IGNITE and LSP teams.
Lead in implementing and monitoring of IGNITE KM and communication strategy (60%)
- Lead the execution of the activities in the communications work plan using overarching KM and communication strategy for IGNITE.
- Proactively work with staff, LSPs, partners and clients using the project updates and other reporting to identify learning and achievements.
- Craft messages (case studies, one pagers, webinar, tweets, LinkedIn posts etc.) to disseminate learning and results to different stakeholders.
- Coordinate with staff to gather information for writing programmatic communications including manuals, graphics, articles, success and impact stories that offer analytical story telling.
- Lead and coordinate with staff the organization of outreach events (physical or virtual). This includes drafting communications collateral (manuals, press releases, key messages, success stories, talking points, graphics etc.).
- Maintain a comprehensive database of communications consultants who can offer niche communications services from time to time.
- Manage IGNITE’s photo and video library and coordinate editing as appropriate.
Contribute to other functions like reporting and consultant/partner management related to KM and communications (5%)
- Review and edit project reporting deliverables such as annual reports to ensure we are communicating our progress, learning, and results.
- Manage short-term and long-term KM and communication service providers
- Work closely with our partner ‘communication teams (clients, subawards, LSPs) to harmonize branding and visibility for each stakeholder and where applicable.
Other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
- Master’s degree in Public relations, Communications, Knowledge management or its equivalent
- A minimum of 6 years’ experience in communication using all media including digital and specifically in the Agriculture sector with some focus on gender and nutrition.
- Experience drafting and executing a comprehensive communication plan in support of a project strategy, incorporating a variety of media and tactics;
- Experience writing and managing content for a variety of media including digital and social media platforms (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.), video scripts and story-boarding, case studies, blogs, technical thought pieces, and factsheets/briefings;
- Ability to work proactively with teams to anticipate and identify learning and results occurring in the project and craft messaging around those;
- Ability to work independently as well as build relationships across a variety of internal and external stakeholders;
- Ability to represent the project in external meetings including with the donor;
- Ability to research, analyze, evaluate and synthesize information quickly;
- Knowledge of graphic design and photo/video editing software.
- Excellent written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to write required documents in a clear, concise, well-organized manner.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills. Because IGNITE works in a Francophone country, French written and communication will be highly desired as well.
- Advanced computer skills in a Windows based environment including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel and other relevant research and analytical programs
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required. Ability to build relationships and rapport with teams, staff, and clients and navigate challenging or unexpected circumstances with creativity, calm, and positivity. Ability to communicate effectively with persons on all levels both inside and outside the company on issues that could be complex or sensitive in nature.
- This is a national placement with ability to travel 20%
How to Apply:
Interested candidates can submit their motivation letter, CV and the Tanager application form (Download HERE) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm EAT on 6th December 2022.
Shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis.