Job Advert: Project Officer
World Concern is a US-based, Christian humanitarian relief and development organization working in Africa, Asia and the Americas.
Established in 1955, World Concern works to alleviate suffering among the poor in developing countries and to address the root causes in each context.
World Concern’s primary strategy is community-based, integrated development.
World Concern works in multiple-sectors to build the capacity of village-based groups, non-governmental partners and other counterparts to lead and sustain their development.
World Concern is committed to best practices of inclusive, participatory and accountable relief and development and maintains rigorous standards of both financial and program monitoring.
Program assistance is provided on the basis of need alone, without regard to race, creed or gender.
Job Title: Project Officer
Department / Section: Mukuru OVT
Reports to: Program Manager, Kenya
Duty Station: Mukuru
Job Summary: The main objective of this position is to lead the project in Mukuru Kwa Njenga and ensure that the World Concern One Village Transformed village (s) are appropriately and effectively implemented.
OVT is a long-term community development program designed to build on the assets, talents, skills and natural resources already available in the target villages.
The goal is to see communities not only participate in but eventually take full ownership of their development process.
By the end of the program in any community, we aim to see the community being able to: develop their own development goals; bring together their resources, experiences, skills and expertise to realize the goals they have set; and put into practice behaviors that promote physical, mental, spiritual and social health.
The person will play a key role in supporting innovative livelihoods initiatives that facilitate a broad-based entrepreneurial mind-set and a new set of business development ideas among informal settlement dwellers in Mukuru Kwa Njenga in Nairobi.
This will involve working with other World Concern staff, the church, partner organizations/mentors and the target community in the slums for Holistic transformation of the target population.
- Guide and oversee the overall project implementation.
- Introduce World Concern to new villages, including outlining our mission, vision, values, goals and objectives as well as the integrated, asset-based nature of the program.
- Strengthen World Concern partnership with churches in Mukuru Kwa Njenga and lead in the training of the pastors
- Establish networks with government offices and other development partners on the ground as necessary for the effective operation of the project at field level.
- Represent World Concern in meetings with communities, churches, government and local leadership, exemplifying the values and beliefs of the organization.
- Documentation of good case studies to inform programming.
- Develop monthly and quarterly project work/activity plans in order to achieve objectives, maintain appropriate documentation.
- Project budget development and Management.
- Timely reporting for both Monthly and Quarterly project reports.
- In consultation with Programs Manager, develop project concepts and proposals.
- Ensure that all project data and reports are well documented and posted on Share point.
- Participate in the Monthly Program Review (MPR) meetings.
- Support facilitation of community dialogue meetings.
- Build and maintain World Concern relationships with the informal settlement community in Mukuru Kwa Njenga and other stakeholders.
- Actively promote WC approach to livelihoods’ business segment with emphasis on promoting group development through support, coaching, mentoring, feedback and identification of investment needs and opportunities.
- In consultation with the Programs Manager identify opportunities and innovative approaches to support livelihood business activities in the informal settlements.
- Support facilitation of community groups and business associations to identify needs and encourage involvement in livelihood business activities.
- Build capacity of existing businesses, establish business groups and the formation of community focused networks.
- Perform any other functions deemed necessary or as delegated by the supervisor in order to meet the level of services in the organization.
- Provide a positive witness of Jesus Christ through personal work integrity.
- Explore and establish partnerships with the local church.
- Integrate spiritual development opportunities, including outreach and discipleship opportunities
Qualification and Experience
- Mature Christian committed to serving Jesus Christ and with passion for evangelism. Past experience in missions will be a key asset
- Bachelor’s degree in Microfinance or Entrepreneurship, or relevant tertiary qualification in Cooperative or Development studies, and/or experience in related fields.
- At least 2 years of progressive programming experience including understanding.
- Ability to promote empowering and developmental models in community work through highly effective communication skills.
- Proven credibility, integrity and professionalism.
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to assist groups to formulate their ideas into constructive actions, ability to undertake community-based research, and to effectively complete projects.
- Exercises sound judgment and political sensitivity – especially in relation to the informal settlement community organization.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 5th February 2023.