ACDI / VOCA
Vacancy Announcement: Communications Specialist (TEMP)
The Feed the Future USAID Kenya Livestock Market Systems Activity (LMS) strengthens community resilience to overcome poverty, household hunger, and chronic undernutrition through expanded and viable economic opportunities; improved systems, institutions, governance; and human capital.
The activity maximizes local capacity to plan and manage integrated resilience programming and foster collaboration with other implementers to achieve significant and lasting social change.
LMS activity areas are as follows – Garissa, Isiolo, Marsabit, Samburu, Turkana, and Wajir counties.
The Communications Specialist will contribute to the internal and external communications efforts.
S/he will contribute to the content development of project outreach, including learning, social media content, presentations, photography, videography, events management, and media relations.
S/he will contribute to stories and messaging that communicate LMS learning and results to various stakeholders, especially USAID.
The communications specialist will report to the communications manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Execute the activities in the communications work plan and provide communications support to the LMS team.
- Proactively work with field staff to gather information for writing programmatic communications including manuals, graphics, articles, and success and impact stories.
- Craft messages (case studies, one pager, tweets, etc.) to disseminate learning and results to different stakeholders (USAID, implementing partners, the government of Kenya, and others).
- Coordinate with the field staff in the organization of events. This includes drafting communications collateral (manuals, press releases, key messages, success stories, talking points, graphics, etc.).
- Manage LMS’s photo library and conduct photo editing as appropriate.
- Maintain a comprehensive database of communications consultants who can offer niche communications services.
- Attend monthly USAID communications meetings and actively participate in the LMS
- Communications Working Group and execute action items that come out of the meetings.
- Compile/Edit project reporting deliverables to ensure we are communicating our progress, learning, and results in line with USAID Kenya’s aspirations.
- Other communication duties as advised
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Communication or its equivalent.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in communication especially using digital media and excellent writing skills.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Knowledge of graphic design and photo/video editing software.
- Experience drafting and executing a comprehensive communication plan in support of a project strategy, incorporating a variety of media and tactics.
- Experience writing and managing content for a variety of media including digital and social media platforms (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.), video scripts and storyboarding case studies, and factsheets/briefings.
- Ability to collaborate proactively with teams to anticipate and identify learning and results occurring in the field and craft messaging around those.
- Research ability, analyze, evaluate, and synthesize information quickly.
- Ability and willingness to travel in ASAL counties including to remote locations.
Period of Performance: Three months (April 01, 2023– June 30, 2023)
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume to HRKenya@acdivoca.org no later than March 24, 2023.
Please include the position title in the subject line.
Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer.
Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.