Terre des Hommes Foundation
Terms of Reference for Jofa Documentary – Korogocho, Nairobi
1: About Terre des hommes.
Terre des Hommes Foundation is Switzerland’s largest children’s aid organization. For more than half a century, the foundation has been working alongside children in distress.
In more than 30 countries, Tdh protects children against exploitation and violence, improves the health of children and their mothers, provides psychosocial support and material assistance in times of humanitarian crisis.
TdH has been present in Kenya since 2011 and is currently supporting access to basic services for populations affected by displacements, natural crisis, and poverty in Dadaab refugee camps, in Garissa
County, Kakuma and Korogocho informal settlement in Nairobi County.
In Korogocho informal settlement, TdH implements Early Childhood Development and Child Protection
2: About the JOFA project
The Joining Forces consortium was awarded a grant from the EU to address child protection issues arising from Covid 19.
In Kenya, the 3-year (July 2020- June 2023) child protection project is being implemented by 3 organizations.
That is; World Vision (Country Lead) implementing in Kakuma refugee camp in Turkana County, Save the Children (co-applicant) implementing in Bungoma and Nairobi and TdH- NL (co – applicant) implementing in Busia County and Korogocho in Nairobi with TdH Foundation, a local partner in the project.
Goal of the project – Children and adolescents experience reduced levels of violence, abuse, exploitation,
and neglect in Kenya. This will be achieved through the following objectives:
1) To Strengthen national and local protection and response systems.
2) To Improve the protection of children living in resilient families, communities, and institutions in
the context of Covid 19 ad recovery phase.
3) To Increase the capacity and agency of children themselves to prevent and respond to violence
against them during Covid 19 crisis and recovery phase.
4) To increase learning and sharing of knowledge and best practice related to child protection
3: The rationale for the consultancy services
As per objective 4 of the JOFA project aimed at increasing learning and sharing of knowledge and best practices, TdH Foundation seeks to document the impact of the project across the 4 outcomes and use this documentary as a communication, accountability, project visibility and advocacy tool.
The intended documentation would focus on how various interventions have addressed the child protection issues arising from and aggravated by Covid 19.
4: Specific Objective of the consultancy:
The overall objective of the assignment is to develop an impact documentary / film and produce
photographs highlighting the success of the JOFA project in protecting children during the COVID-19 crisis and beyond
5: Consultancy Scope
Under the general supervision of the HoD and Programmes Assistant, and direct supervision of the Project Manager and the consultant will be required to work closely with project team for accomplishment of the following tasks:
1. To hold an inception meeting with the Program team and management to discuss the preparation of the documentary.
2. Develop the overall concept/with narrative, identify thematic areas for filming and as appropriate, draft questions for interviewees.
3. Develop the documentary script and storyboard to be used in the film, attuned to the various target audiences.
4. Visit the field site and shoot targeted footage and conduct interviews with the Projects’ identified beneficiaries and stakeholders. (e.g. children, caregivers, Directorate of Children Services, Child Protection Volunteers, Police (gender desk), Local administration, Community mentors, stakeholders, PwV facilitators,). Selection will be done in consultation with and under the guidance of TdH.
5. Hold sessions with key project staff about the project.
6. Present draft documentary at the end of the field mission for first review and incorporation of feedback
7. Produce an edited Video Recording of the scenes captured, as well as footage of the recorded stories/ raw footage of the entire event.
8. Produce one overall project video documentary (5-6 minutes long) and four short video clips (2-3 minutes) on identified thematic areas of the project (key intervention areas, in consultation with TdH); of all documentaries provide versions with English and with Swahili subtitles, in accordance with EU and TdH branding guidelines.
The main deliverables are as outlined below:
Under the overall supervision of TdH HoD and in consultation with Project Manager and Programme Assistant, the selected institution/firm/consultant should deliver the following:
(i) Documentary concept note
- Develop the overall concept and narrative, identify thematic areas for filming and as appropriate,
draft questions for interviewees.
- Develop the documentary script and storyboard to be used in the film, attuned to the various
(ii) Raw footage captured in project areas and master tapes for all interviews
(iii) Provide at-least 30 high quality photos in soft format of the JOFA activities/beneficiaries with clear
captions: name of subject in picture, brief description of activity, location and the date picture are
(iii) The Final Documentary:
- Submission of final master high quality videos in HD, AVI and MP4 formats, as well as submitting
square or portrait edit in landscape format.
- Submission of all raw footage captured in project areas and master tapes for all interviews.
A detailed financial proposal should be included outlining all costs required for conducting the assignment, including the working meetings and validation.
The documentary should focus and strongly bring out the following:
- How the project has improved protection in resilient families, communities and institutions in the
context of COVID-19 and during the recovery
- How the project has increased the capacity and agency of children to prevent and respond to
violence against them during COVID-19 crisis and recovery phase.
- How the project has involved children and duty bearers in learning and sharing of knowledge and
best practice related to child protection approaches
7: Consultancy Period
The consultancy will be conducted within 1 month from the date of the contract.
The consultant should adhere to general principles of professionalism and maintain confidentiality while handling sensitive information.
8: Consultancy (s) Competencies, Experience and Skill requirements
For this assignment, Terre des Hommes is looking for a consultant or consultancy firm that meets the following requirements:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in film/reportage/documentary writing, producing, directing, and editing.
- Demonstrated extensive experience in producing development-related photographs and videos aimed at reaching the media, government actors, CSOs communities and the private sector.
- Experience in working with local and international organizations.
- Excellent technical capacities (access to the highest quality filming, light, sound and editing equipment for High-Definition footage) to ensure on time and high-quality production.
- Sample film will be required to demonstrate technical competencies in relation to filming, interviewing, sound recording and all other necessary skills to achieve a professional final film.
- Experience in development communication will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of informal settlements will be an added advantage.
- Ability to conduct interviews in English and Kiswahili.
9: Application process: email your proposal and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on 24th March 2023